Institution: Galerie výtvarného um?ní v Chebu/Gallery of visual art in Cheb
Address: nám?stí Krále Ji?ího z Pod?brad 16, 350 02 Cheb
Telephone: +42 0 354422450
Fax: +42 0 354422163
The Gallery of Visual art in Cheb was founded in the year 1962. During the last eleven years, until the year 2001, the gallery was a facility of the Ministry for culture of the Czech republic, in the present is the provider the District Karlovarský kraj. The gallery had been established as a cultural facility dedicated first of all to the exhibition activity. Since the middle of the sixties the gallery began however to create its own collections and due to the intense acquisition activity that found support also on the part of the management of the regional administrative authorities at that time, the gallery could at the break of the 60's and 70's praise itself already as a museum of the performing art by numerous collection funds of the old and modern Czech art. The best works from the own collections of the gallery are being put on display in the constantly completed and improved exhibition premises.
Apart from the own professional activity, which is oriented above all onto the care for the collections of old and modern art in particular, their extension and the research work in collection expositions, which is connected with it, the gallery prepares short term exhibitions of the old and the modern Czech and European art, both independently as well as in a co-operation with Czech and foreign galleries and art museums. A certain form of a border crossing co-operation are also loans of works of art to important foreign art museums, by which the gallery participated in such significant European exhibitions, as was e.g. the exhibition Le Cubisme a Prague in the Musée des beaux-arts in Nancy in the year 1991, Europe, Europe - the century of the avant-garde in central and Eastern Europe / Europa, Europa, das Jahrhundert der Avantgarde in Mittel - und Osteuropa in Bonn in the year 1994 or Année a 30 en Europe in the Musée d'Art moderne de la Ville de Paris in the year 1997. The gallery was represented on the basis of numerous collections of works of art from its own collections at large exhibition projects, organized by the professional association of the Czech art museums, where it is a member: by the Gallery Council of the Czech republic (e.g. an entry of the most different factors in the riding school of the Prague Castle in the year 1993 or The Second Ark - the Surrealisms and the Czech art 1925 to 1945 / Die zweite Arche - Der Surrealismus und die tschechische Kunst 1925 bis 1945 in the Panorama museum in Germany in the year 2001). A completely specific circle of the gallery activity represents its participation in the activities of the international cultural project Festival Mitte Europa - from the beginning of the 90's. Within the general idea framework of the festival, which is oriented on removal of the historical obstacles in the communication between Czechs and Germans and the support of common co-operation and friendship, the gallery takes part by the research and publication work on the recognition of the work of the artists from the circle of the ethnical minorities, who lived and created in Czechoslovakia deep into the middle of the forties of the last century (among others exhibitions from the work of Wenzel Hablik, George Kars, Emil Orlik, August Brömse, Max Kopf, etc.).